Sunday, October 5, 2008

my love for india

yes, i have a saree, actually two. read on to find out where i got it...
ebestasia.com/
friday night was fall festival night at our school. i always love to go as i get to see so many former students and their families. this festival was a hit as it was totally packed! look who i ran into. one of my favorite families. the son was in my class last year, NEATEST kid. he always made me laugh with his excitement about life and learning. i really think that he is a genius so that was neat, too, getting to teach a genius! hehe.

his family is one of the most fun, kind families i have ever met. the guptas' genorosity, hospitality, and thoughtfulness are overflowing. they had me over 3 times last year for indian cuisine and let me tell you, they brought out the 9s! they sure do know how to entertain. not only that, they fostered my love for anything indian. when i say that i have been over to the gupta's for indian food, i don't just mean a couple of dishes. it's an all day affair with a five course meal--dad's barbequeing kabobs and meat, mom's in the kitchen.

my experience at the guptas, never ends with just food. they showed me their hindu shrine to the hindu gods. there is a god for everything. they showed me wedding pictures of their indian wedding. indian weddings go all out with the celebration lasting multiple days. remember the movie, monsoon wedding? the bride is decked out in beautiful, bright colors. amazing. the guptas also showed me their elephants (decorations) around the room. apparently, hindu indians believe that elephants are a symbol of wealth. so, you put them all over your house for good fortune. you must make sure they are facing a certain way. otherwise, you will have bad luck!

the guptas didn't leave me empty handed when i would leave, they gave me the leftovers and also, some things that they got in india! they gave me two blankets and two beautiful sarees! if you ever see me wearing a saree, you will know wear i got it from.=)

mrs. gupta asked if adam and i want to come over next month--OF COURSE. i can't wait.

No comments: