Tuesday, August 11, 2009

SHOW US YOUR LIFE @ Kelly's Korner: TRAVEL

this week's topic at http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/ is favorite places to travel (which is what i love to do most. yes, i admit it. i have an addiction. an expensive one.
My favorite places to vacay.
International travel is always at the top for me (but not for the pocket book!)as new worlds are opened up each new country I visit. I look at life and the world through a different pair of glasses (sunglasses, maybe?) after having traveled outside of my own country.
istanbul, turkey
1. Europe
for europe travel, go to http://www.contiki.com/. my opinion is that contiki is the best way to travel europe. it's a tour group for ages 18-35 year-olds, so you get to travel europe without feeling lost (and therefore, wasting time, money, and enjoyment) and making fellow tourist friends on the tour that are from around the world while you are at it.
my fav places in europe:
italy. musts: tuscany, the italian riviera, venice, the roman ruins, the vatican. gelato at least twice a day. italian pizza. paninis.
france. ah pari! mi amore! musts: a trip to the llouvre (the largest art museum in the world), the view of paris from mont martre. the french countryside with a visit to a castle or two. the french riviera, nothing else like it. the french pastry.
greece. musts: taking a tour of santorini (the island) and ending your tour by riding a donkey to the bottom of the island. the ruins in athens. island hopping.
the netherlands. musts: a bike ride in a picturesque village that canals go through. amsterdam. the ann frank house and museum.
turkey. different from any other country i've been to. a must if you are ever in turkey: the istanbul bizarre (the largest bizarre in the world) where you can find very unique items in vibrant colors.
savannah, georgia
2. The Carribean
my fav places in the carribean:
playa [del carmen] on the mexican riviera. THE best water/beach/ocean out of any place i have been to. the mexicans are so friendly, and welcoming. musts: sipping a drink on the beach while listening to relaxing music and looking at the water that is so perfectly clear it's almost screaming your name to take a dip. the mayan ruins.
jamaica, mon. musts: ziplining in the jungle. listening to jamaican music. dancing to jamaican music. sipping jamaican drinks (although i don't really drink, hah!) on the jamaican beach.
grand caymans. you have to swim with the sting rays if you are ever in the caymans.
jamaica. ya'mon.
3. North America
my fav places in north america:
Banff.
Banff National Park, Canada. Lake Louis. The clear blue glacier lakes.
California. especially Newport Beach and the ocean views drive from LA to San Fran.
Destin, Florida. ahhh, the dreamy white sand.
Savannah, Georgia and
Hilton Head, South Carolina. the beautiful flowers and huge, southern trees hanging over historic buildings in savannah. the southern hospitality. the beautiful scenery and riding bikes on the beach in hilton head.
D.C. especially alexandria and georgetown va. oh my, the historical sites to see here! alexandria and georgetown are so chic, so preppy, so american.
The Rockies. such natural beauty and so peaceful in the mountains.
hawaii
Places I still want to go.
Places here...in the States: new england, tennessee, the beaches of north carolina, new york city again, napa valley.
and
Places there...not in the States: thailand, spain/portugal, egypt, india, prague, japan, russia, ireland.
Now I need is the money to go the places here and the places there. So, if you would like to make a donation to the Laura Unnasch Travel Fund, please click here: JUST KIDDING, OF COURSE!

How to get the most bang for your buck when traveling:

1. always, always do your research on travel discount sites and on the actual airline, hotel, car rental websites to find the cheapest rates.

2. once you are at your destination, ask for an upgrade, special request if you want it!

3. don't feel bad asking for discounts. you have nothing to lose!

4. don't spend money on silly, cheasy souvenires. unless it's really unique, and will actually be used (decorating the house using items you got on a trip is great), then don't waste the money.

6 comments:

tiarastantrums said...

oh I love to travel too - having children has slowed this down for hubbie and I! and I totally agree - two gelatos a day in Italy!!

Amanda Rooney said...

Wow!! I'm amazed at all the places you've traveled!! I agree with Paris...there's nothing like the llouvre...and fresh french pastries...mmmm...makin' my mouth water!!

Alissa:Adventurer said...

Holy Moly lets be best friends. I love your expansive list and hope to get to all those places! Thats amazing.

Katie Patterson said...

We just got back from the Rockies!!! See my blog...www.matthewwaynepatterson.blogspot.com for our daily adventures. I am still adding to the blog from our trip!!

Sounds like you have been to many places...you could write a book!!!

Nikki Cogg said...

I saved the contiki website! My husband and I are looking into Europe next May, so I'm excited to check out this travel group. Thanks for all of the tips, I'm dying to get to Italy!!

Shoshanah said...

I'm so jealous of all the traveling you've done! I think if I could go to any of the places you talked about it would probably be Greece